Nuffnang

Pages - Menu

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Remembering Allan

 Disclaimer: I was very young when this happened. I may have forgotten and/or misinterpreted some details.


I didn't know Allan too well. Back then, I just knew that in our group, Marjorie was his partner. They never exchanged any word, well nobody really did, but they were "the pair." Allan's best friend was Norman, the sweetheart of our friend Lenny Grace. I don't know how everyone else knew, but we were pairs. I still remember how we panicked when one of them said that they were going to ask us out on a group date. Of course that never happened. But with all the stories, fears and worries, it was as if it did. Nine-year old kids still play pretend, I guess.

They were the smartest in their grade level. We were (supposedly) the smartest from ours. We spent lots of time together for review sessions and inter-school competitions. For third and fourth graders pushed to excel for reasons we didn't even understand, I guess it was inevitable to look for distraction. Love teams. Perfect. The stories ended after their graduation. They became high school freshmen. We moved on to new groups and new love teams.

1992. Allan, this little boy from the group of our sort-of MU (mutual understanding) partners was killed in one quiet street near a church.

He rode his bike that afternoon. It was Norman's birthday. Allan was on his way to his best friend's house to personally deliver his birthday gift, a greeting card. Then someone wanted his bike. Eleven stab wounds. Ice pick. Police said he may have fought the killer as there were signs that he held on to his bike - there may have been a struggle. Of course he won't let go. It's his bike. It's his best friend's birthday.

Earlier this morning, I heard this song and remembered Allan. The song was a big hit at that time. I'm trying to understand why the images and emotions are so vivid today. I haven't thought of him for almost a decade.

Hey little boy, I have not forgotten. My first real-life lessons about friendship, life, death and (in)justice were from you.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Yum-ment!