Nuffnang

Pages - Menu

Monday, August 29, 2011

The Vow I Almost Wrote

This FRIENDS episode has got to be the most memorable proposal I've ever seen.



You can view proposal scene in YouTube - http://youtu.be/nczQiEHcrWs.



Ages ago, I wrote a wedding proposal. I hate it that I did... Anyways, the episode also reminded me of the wedding vow I almost wrote.



They say that a woman starts preparing for her wedding at the age of ten (or younger). Every year, after the first time a little girl sees a bride walk down the aisle, becomes a piece of a big jigsaw puzzle that is her wedding day. The groom counts as one piece. I'm one of those little girls. Although my journey to putting that puzzle together was a little different.

At six years old, I started praying for my parents' separation. It became an annual Christmas wish to dear Santa (he never listened).
I grew up not wanting to be part of anything that made a little girl seek refuge under the dining table, amidst painful yelling and broken glass (plates, ketchup bottles and flower vases). Of course, somehow, I yearned to spend my life with someone who will make life a little bit more fun and meaningful. I was thinking, cohabitation may be the way to go... Just so that if things don't work out, then there will be no legal implications and whatever complications. Everyone moves on. And there should be no children, because children become pathetic reasons to stay together even when two people start aching to pursue better lives as individuals --- not husband and wife.

And then "we happened."
You were just this funny geeky guy who likes big boobs on pretty faces. Remember how we used to "girl-watch" with another sleazy friend? Summer of 1998. I didn't even like you yet... when I dreamt about "us" locked in a gentle embrace. I thought "ewwww..." and I couldn't look at you the entire week.

I can't remember how I started looking at you in a special kind of way... It just happened. We just happened. We were just working on this class project in Diane's living room and this little girl, her niece, claimed this tiny couch space between us. She brought her book and she wanted us to read with her. I looked at you and started thinking... hmmm... this is how it's going to be like when we have our own daughter.

Nothing else follows... I stopped writing (in my head) when I found out we weren't going to read our own vows. The coordinator said we can personalize our vows (although it's not required). I got lost in the indifference of the world to my desire.

*** backlog entry posted 08/31/11 03:09 PM... post date tweaked

No comments :

Post a Comment

Yum-ment!